Extension & Rehabilitation of Water Supply & Sewerage Systems in Calarasi, Romania
Technical Assistance and Management Support for 11 Works Contracts (FIDIC Red and Yellow Books) in six towns (Calarasi, Urziceni, Budesti, Oltenita, Lehliu Gara and Fundulea) over a 42-month contract period, involving improvements in the drinking water (treatment and distribution) and wastewater (collection and treatment).
This was an EU Cohesion Funded Project. Works Contracts included:
- Conventional procurement of 200km of pipelines up to 2m in diameter;
- DBO procurement of 2 No. Water Treatment Plants;
- DBO procurement of 185,000pe Waste Water Treatment Plant.
The Technical assistance involved:
- Technical and Financial Support with training to the Project Implementation Unit within the Water & Wastewater Utility Company (Ecoaqua) to improve the Water & Sewerage systems in the six towns (total population of 140,000) located in Calarasi and Lalomita Counties, in south-east Romania;
- Management Support for the Water & Wastewater Utility Company and local municipal authorities including preparation of Asset Management Plans, Preparation of Organisation Chart, Financing Procedures, Financing Model, Tariff Analysis and Adjustment, and development of an Operation and Management Strategy;
- Procurement of equipment and establishment of GIS and Hydraulic Modelling units for Water Supply and Wastewater networks;
- Procurement of equipment and development and implementation of a long-term Leakage and Infiltration Reduction Plan comprising condition surveys of the water and wastewater networks;
- Preparation of short, medium and long term leak detection strategies to implement an efficient leak detection system.
- Development of a comprehensive Sludge Management Strategy, finalization and assistance in the implementation of Industrial Wastewater Action Plan;
- Design and implementation of a Publicity Plan & Awareness Campaign for the Project involving an Action Plan and Promotional Campaigns including web sites, information dissemination, ‘Success Story’ publications and development of advertising/promotion strategies and campaigns;
- Up-dating of WS and WW Masterplans including Environmental Assessment, ‘Polluter Pays’ Principle, Preliminary Design, Cost Estimates and Feasibility Analyses.
The Project which was completed in 2014 also included Training Programmes designed and delivered associated with the above task groups.