Clareville Water Treatment Plant Refurbishment – Design Build Operate (DBO) Project, Civil and Structural Design Services
Jennings O’Donovan were employed by BAM Civil Ltd., to provide full Civil and Structural Design Services for the Clareville Water Treatment Plant Project with a construction value of €21 million. Clareville is the main treatment plant supplying potable water to Limerick City. Limerick is the third largest city in the Republic of Ireland and the regional capital of the Mid-West Region. The city provides for the economic social and cultural well being for a growing population of over 52,000, with another 25,000 in the suburbs.
The Clareville Water Treatment Plant Refurbishment Project is a 20 year DBO Contract and includes the operation and maintenance in addition to the development of the Water Treatment Plant. Jennings O’Donovan acted as Designers to BAM Civil Ltd., who were part of a Design/Build Consortium. To provide for water demand through the 20 year contract term, the design included for a 140Ml/d ultimate capacity plant, (Stage 2 Development), with detailed design and build of an 87Ml/d initial capacity, (Stage 1 Development).
The principal services provided by Jennings O’Donovan included:
- Technical Review of the Contract Documents and Scope of Works.
- Structural Surveys of existing buildings and tanks.
- Design of in-situ Reinforced Concrete (RC) Tanks including:
- Rapid Gravity Filters – 2 Nr RC structures with suspended filter floors.
- Actiflo Clarifiers – 3 Nr RC settling tanks
- Washwater Recovery Tank – 1,000m³ RC structure
- Flash Mixer and Raw Water Intake
- Chlorine Contact Tank – 1,200m³ twin cell underground RC structure
- Alum Sulphate Tanks – 185m³ twin cell RC structure with chemical resistant lining.
- PAC Dosing Tank – 430m³ RC structure
- Cloonlara Intake Tank and building
- Structural Design of Sludge Processing Building and Chemical Storage Buildings.
- Design of modifications to existing buildings and structures.
- Hydraulic Design of Process Pipework
- Site drainage and Landscaping
- Design of lined Sludge Lagoon storage area.
- All associated Construction Drawings and As-Built Drawings.
Services provided by Jennings O’Donovan
Jennings O’Donovan’s work included Civil Works Design; Preparation of General Arrangement Drawings; Process Pipework (up to 1,400mm dia.) and Site Services Pipework Design and Detailing; Structural Design, Calculations, Structural Detailing and Bar Bending Schedules; and Designer duties as required under Health & Safety Legislation.